jose Development History
=== 1.0 (2003-07-09) ===
the first production release.
=== 1.0.1 (2003-08-14) ===
* automated ECO opening classification
* less usage of TCP/IP connections (avoids firewall warnings)
* minor bug fixes
=== 1.0.2 (2003-08-23) ===
* Online Update
* bug fixes
=== 1.1 (2003-10-12) ===
* Position Search
* ECO classification in the database
* Bug Fixes:
- font handling is more robust
- emptying the basket left an inconsistent database
- Panels might disappear when undocking/docking
- Cut/Copy/Paste in database panels
- lots more...
=== 1.2 (2003-12-16) ===
* Translations: French, Portuguese. Thanks to Frederic Raimbault and José da Paula !
* Support for UCI engines, including:
- display multiple varitions (only supported by few engines)
- display current move, elapsed time, nodes per second
* Dialog for Engine configuration (Edit/Options/Engines)
* EPD/FEN import
* Game Panel: increase, decrease font size
* Mnemonics in Menues and Dialogs
* Board panel resizes dynamically
* Bug Fixes:
- 3D board freezes (thread deadlock)
- new time control settings overwrites old one
- font handling improved
- many more...
=== 1.2.1 (2003-12-18) ===
* hot fix (only needed if 1.2 won't run on your system)
=== 1.2.2 (2004-01-04) ===
* Translations: Spanish and Catalan.
Thanks to Agustin Gomila, Alex Coronado and Harold Roig !
* jose speaks! You can install sound packages for move announcements from
Alternatively, you can use packages from
Chessbase sound files; usually installed with Fritz at C:\Program Files\ChessBase\Sounds\English\Notation
* Keyboard move input: type a move in the Text Panel, hit return to execute it.
* Copy & Paste:
- Copy/Paste PGN games (right mouse click in Text Panel).
- Copy/Paste FEN positions (right mouse click in Board Panel).
Works also in the Setup Dialog and the Position Search dialog.
- Copy primary variation: (right mouse click in Engine Panel)
* support for 'bzip2' and 'tar' compressed pgn files (in addition to 'zip' and 'gzip')
* 3D board: Knights can be rotated
* UCI protocol: 'pos movelist' instead of FEN (most engines prefer it that way)
* successfully tested with Blackdown JRE 1.4.2 on Linux
* and, of course, bug fixes...
=== 1.3 (2004-03-20) ===
* File Export to PGN, HTML, or PDF.
See http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/export.html for details.
sample HTML file: http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/man/demo/demo2.html,
sample PDF file: http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/man/demo/demo.pdf
* Print Preview
* Swedish and Italian translations. Thanks to Hans Eriksson and Guido Grazioli.
* Engine Panel: "Expert" mode logs all PVs
* Board Panel: copy to clipboard as image, styled text, or FEN string
* new installer for Windows
* Users upgrading from an older version will notice slightly enlarged fonts
in the document panel. This is intentional. Use "Decrease Text Size" to
adjust the font size.
=== 1.3.2 (2004-04-08) ===
* Release for Macintosh OS X. Thanks to Andreas Güttinger and Randy Countryman for support.
=== 1.3.3 (2004-04-10) ===
* Hotfix for OS X. Option Dialog didn't work at all.
=== 1.3.4 (2004-11-20) ===
* styled text in comments
* compliant with UCI-II (Shredder) engine protocol
* detect threefold repetition
* game adjudication (resign,draw) when playing against UCI engines
* Hungarian translation. Thanks to "Direktx".
* TeX output. Thanks to Alexander Wagner.
* compatible with J2SE 5.0
* bug fixes and lots of improvements in database layer
=== 1.3.5 (2005-02-24) ===
* Completely new database integration.
* UI fixes for Mac OS X
* Polish Translation. Thanks to Tomasz Sokól.
* bug fixes
=== 1.3.6 (2005-10-08) ===
* Fischer Random Chess / Chess 960, Shuffle Chess
* bug fixes
=== 1.4.0 (2005-11-29) ===
* Archive file format
* Web Application
* Database engine update: MySQL 5.0
* bundled chess engines: Spike and Toga. Thanks to Volker Böhm, Ralf Schäfer and Thomas Gaksch.